L'intermittent

UPDATE: Gilles Péquignot of Au Gré des Vent has pointed me to their more current web site -- Association Carnet de Bal. On that site, four of the group's albums are available for streaming. They also have about twenty-five tunes available as sheet music.

Continuing my fascination with asymmetric tunes -- and my fascination with the Alsatian duo Au Gré des Vents -- I present one of their most infectious tunes. "L'intermittent" is the opening track of their album Fraxinelles. It's a scottisch-marche-valse composed by Danyèle Besserer. Here's their recording of the tune.

"L'intermittent" excerpt by Au Gre des Vents


And here's my own recording of the tune on solo accordéon, a rough track from the album I'm currently recording with engineer Caleb Orion. As Gilles pointed out to me, I take the tune much more freely in this context. He calls it "Wagnerian," which is fair. For dancers, of course, regularity is everything (all of the "ones" are an equal distance apart).

"L'intermittent" played by Gary Chapin


And for those who want to try such a thing for themselves, here are the dots for the tune, as transcribed by the inestimable Steve Gruverman.



Gilles Péquignot and Danyèle Besserer, with
Sylvain Piron in the tricorn hat.
BONUS Picture, sent to me by Mary Line, of the Journal d'Alsace. That's the duo on the right, with Sylvain Piron in the tricorn hat.

Labels: , , , , , ,